Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sherri and Judy


mom and dad ages 15 and 17


my beautiful mother


my sister Kerstin in Holland

my brother Jared and I
Yesterday I went to Goodwill and came out with two pairs of shoes, two scarves, a lace dress, and a couple of records. I then went to the library and checked out Great Expectations, Little Women, Rebecca and the movie "Funny Face" with Audrey Hepburn. When I got home I asked my dad to help repair my record player. While looking for it in our garage he said "well here's someone's old organ." "Oh that's mine too..." He just laughed and told me I need to move forward...into the present at least. Later my mother told me excitedly (because she knew I would be excited) that she had finally bought a new slide projector. We spent two hours or so looking through slides of my parents as a young couple and others of when our family was young (meaning I wasn't born yet) and traipsing through Europe. The point of me relaying all of this is not to bore or to brag by any means, but to preface a few question. Why buy all this stuff? Why am I so excited by what many consider "junk"? Why this affinity for the old, the antique? Is it because "life was simpler then" or because things were "better quality"? Maybe it's because I like to think there's a story behind the pieces I purchase; that Sherri and Judy, the previous owners of my record player as written in a child's scrawl along the inside cover, would be happy to know someone is still finding joy from the same player they once did? I know many of my friends have the same affinity for this "junk". Why do you invest your time and money in it? I'd really like to know.
P.S. As I have been accepted into the fast grad program, I will be attending BYUI this next winter semester (yes Harper I have prayed about it!). I'll be living with Nadia, etc. at Pineview Place. If you will be in Rexburg during the winter, please plan on being my friend as I am going to need all the ones I can get!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I read this but I'm still thinking about why I like old stuff.
I will get back to you.

Myke said...

I don't think I can come up with a reason why I like old stuff. I'm materialistic? But why old stuff? I think it's a just a simple matter of taste. Why do I like the taste of apples and not the taste of bananas? I don't know, I just do. It's simple taste. For whatever reason, you have a taste for old stuff. Maybe you developed it somehow, maybe it's just who you are.

P.S. I'm glad you'll be back for winter. And you'll be across the street from me.

Harpski said...

That sounds like fun fun fun. good times.